Four-time U.S. Olympian Abdi Abdirahman to pace sub-1:05 half-marathon group on last day of qualifying; More than 20,000 runners will hit the pavement this weekend for 13th edition event - PHOENIX (January 14, 2016) - While long-distance running may appear to be a solitary affair, if you ask four-time U.S. Olympian Abdi Abdirahman, you will most likely get a shake of the head. The 39-year-old pro, who enjoys the moniker “Black Cactus,” will be toeing the start line at the Rock ‘n’ Roll Arizona Half Marathon on Jan. 17 in Tempe with one big goal in mind: Help his fellow elite runners qualify for the U.S. Olympic Trials Marathon.
SKECHERS PERFORMANCE LOS ANGELES MARATHON LAUNCHES APP IN PARTNERSHIP WITH FITBIT TO MERGE TRAINING AND TECHNOLOGYWritten by Super User
Official Marathon Training App Powered By Fitbit for iOS and Android Now Available LOS ANGELES (December 15, 2015) – LA MARATHON LLC and Fitbit, Inc. today announced a multi-year partnership beginning with the 2016 Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon to provide runners of all levels with a positive experience and the tools they need to train smarter and reach their goals. Fitbit® will be the official sponsor of the Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon Appand the official tracker of the Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon and other LA Marathon LLC properties. The partnership unites the leader in the connected health and fitness market with one of the largest marathons in the world to inspire runners to exceed extraordinary limits.
The USA Blind Athletes National Championships return to the California International Marathon this year with its largest field and a growing reputation as a destination event for visually impaired athletes. A field of 51 is expected for the seventh annual USABA National Marathon Championships, part of the 33rd annual CIM on Dec. 6.
The CIM, a 26.2-mile test from Folsom to the state Capitol, is put on by the Sacramento Running Association.
This year’s field includes combat-blinded veterans, U.S. Paralympic athletes, world champions, a three-time USABA National Marathon champion and five international athletes.
A field of 51 is expected for the seventh annual USABA National Marathon Championships - The USA Blind Athletes National Championships return to the California International Marathon this year with its largest field and a growing reputation as a destination event for visually impaired athletes.
LOS ANGELES (June 8, 2015) – The Council for Responsible Sport announced today that LA MARATHON LLC has been awarded Silver Level Certification for its work organizing the 2015 ASICS LA Marathon. The marathon earned credit on 36 of the best practice standards offered in the Council’s certification program for social and environmental responsibility at sporting events.
NEWPORT BEACH, California – The U.S. Bank OC Marathon’s field of “elite” runners is poised to be best-ever as several high-profile, Olympic hopefuls have entered the 11th annual race. The 2015 elite prize purse is as strong as its elite field including over $20,000 in the half marathon and full marathon alone, with an additional $3,000 dedicated specifically to California resident top overall finishers. In addition to the overall winnings, runners have the opportunity to earn additional bonuses if they meet the 2016 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials “A” or “B” qualifying standards, and/or break a current course record. Detailed information is available at http://www.ocmarathon.com/
The U.S. Bank OC Marathon elite program allows local top athletes to qualify for California resident-only prize money in addition to the traditional prize purse. Runners are able to earn both overall and California resident prize purses. Qualifying athletes will be considered for a complimentary bib number, entry into a seeded race corral, race day amenities and VIP finish line festival access. To be considered for the elite program, a runner must have proof of race results for the marathon at sub-3:05:00 for women and sub-2:35:00 for men. Athletes may also qualify with half-marathon times from the past 2 years that meet the time standards of sub-1:24:00 for women and sub-1:13:00 for men.
The U.S. Bank OC Marathon is considered one of the top full and half marathon courses in the state with its diverse terrain, changing vistas and majestic ocean views. The race traverses Newport Beach, Costa Mesa, Irvine and Santa Ana and boasts a blend of chic coastal scenery, tranquil nature and sophisticated arts and shopping. The Nutrilite Finish Line Festival is a great race day experience with headliners from the 80’s, free massages, tacos, beer and tons of giveaways.
The 11th Annual U.S. Bank OC Marathon will be held on Sunday, May 3, 2015. More than 22,000 runners will participate in the marathon, half marathon, Wahoo’s OC 5K and Kids Run the OC. Additionally, thousands of spectators line the course, the start line in front of the Newport Beach Marriott and finish line at OC Fair and Event Center.
Key runners to date include:
· Bonnie Keating (formerly Bonnie Axman, age 29, Imperial Beach) 2014 OC Marathon Champion returns to defend her elite women’s full marathon title. Keating's personal best was in 2014 at the Ventura Marathon with a time of 2:45:15.
· Abigail Swift (age 26, San Diego) a 2012 Marathon Olympic Trial Qualifier with a personal best of 2:42:45 in the marathon at the 2011 Long Beach Marathon enters the women’s elite half marathon field.
· Megan Lizotte (age 31, La Jolla) 5 time IAAF World Mountain Running Champion, 2 time USA Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier, and 2011 USA Trail Marathon National Champion will join the Elite OC Half Marathon field. Lizotte holds a personal best of 1:16:38 half marathon and 2:41:59 full marathon.
· Liz Camy (age 31, Simi Valley) winner of the 2013 OC Half Marathon, is a top contender in the 2015 OC Half Marathon field with an overall personal best of 1:15:56, and a personal best of 2:46:58 in the marathon.
· Molly Friel (age 47, Fresno) is a 2 time US Olympic Marathon trial qualifier and SRA Elite Club team member. Her personal best includes a time of 2:41:30 from the Cal International Marathon and 1:17:56 from the Motorola Half Marathon in Austin, Texas. She will be running in the elite half marathon field.
· Ryan Cosens (Costa Mesa) Cal Poly San Luis Obispo graduate, who will race the OC Half Marathon, holds a1:05:23 personal record from the Rock n Roll San Diego half marathon and a 2:19:31 full marathon personal best from the 2014 Twin Cities Marathon.
· Juan Paredes (Santa Ana) UC Santa Barbara Alumni, runs for Aztlan Athletics, and has a personal record of1:05:35 from the Santa to the Sea Half Marathon.
· Stephan Shay (age 28, Huntington Beach) returning OC Marathon Champion will run the half marathon this year and holds a 2:16:48 Marathon personal record at the 2012 Olympic Trials, with a fast half marathon performance of1:02:26 at the U.S. Half Marathon Championships.
· Matthew Petersen (age 24, Long Beach) an elite runner and member of the Sketchers Performance Division, was the overall champion at the California Classic Half and ran a personal best of 1:09:33.
For more detailed information, visit the event’s brand new website at www.ocmarathon.com.
Two thousand volunteers assisted to make this logistically-challenging race a positive experience for the 9,000 runners in six different events occurring simultaneously along the course - MONTEREY, Ca. (April 26, 2015) - Runners in the Big Sur International Marathon typically have two natural elements to battle – the 16 hills along the rural, coastal route and the relentless headwinds coming off the ocean. Today’s race provided both, but under crystal clear skies and nearly flawless execution.
The men’s race at the London Marathon will feature the three fastest athletes of all time over the distance: the Kenyan trio of Dennis Kimetto, Emmanuel Mutai and Wilson Kipsang. Kipsang, the former world record holder, has had the most success in London out of this year’s field, having won the race in 2012 and 2014. If he wins again, he will become the fourth three-time winner. No athlete has achieved more than three wins here. Mutai has also tasted success in London, winning in 2011. Last year’s runner-up, Stanley Biwott also returns. Kipsang, Mutai and Biwott are the three fastest athletes of all-time over the course. Rotterdam and Chicago champion
Engaged couple Ryan Neely & Kimberly O’Donnell to defend Marathon titles; register today to be part of the “Small Town, Big Race” experience on April 24-26 - SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif (April 13, 2015) – The San Luis Obispo Marathon, Half Marathon + 5K presented by LeftLaneSports.com has announced its elite fields which include defending Marathon champions, event record holders and engaged couple Ryan Neely & Kimberly O’Donnell, from Walnut Creek, Calif. as well as local talent Van McCarty, the inaugural Marathon winner, and Erin Tracht. The 4th event edition, a San Luis Obispo running tradition, will be held on April 24-26.
Jared Ward ran away over the final miles to win his first USA Marathon championship, while 2008 Olympian Blake Russell pulled away late to win the American women's title - LOS ANGELES (Sunday, March 15, 2015) – Warm temperatures may have slowed the fields slightly, but the action was as hot as ever at the ASICS LA Marathon Sunday morning. As the race got underway, American favorite Ryan Hall shot to the lead, stringing out the men’s pack and separating himself from the U.S. contingent, as the USATF Marathon Championships were contested in conjunction with the event.