their necks,” said Samantha Pruitt, Race SLO Founder & CEO. “With the buzz of this year’s event, a record number of runners took advantage of our 2017 Early Bird one-week registration special, and with our sponsors, volunteers and staff, we look forward to hosting another San Luis Obispo spring running tradition in Endurance Town USA.”
FAST FACTS from the 5th anniversary edition, April 30 – May 1, 2016:
• Entrants: 4,000-plus overall (450 Marathon, 2,600 Half Marathon, 1,000 5K -Children’s Races & Family Fitness Day)
• 35 states represented
• 22 SLO Marathon + Half Ambassadors
• 7 countries represented including the USA
• 3 event beneficiaries: Jack’s Helping Hand, Bike SLO County and
Grizzly Youth Academy
• 2 inductees – Sean Ricketts and Dr. Paul Spangler – into the SLO
Marathon Hall of Fame
• 2 event records (see below)
• 7% Female
• 3% Male
• Average Age: 36.5
• Youngest Participant: 1, several children entered with their parents
• Oldest Participant:81 (Giovanna Schaefer, Grover Beach, CA)
Half Marathon champions
• Joe Thorne(USA / CA), 1:10:50, event record
• Heather McWhirter (USA / CA), 1:22:59
• Zach Bitter(USA / CA), 2:36:14
• Maggie Yount (USA / CA), 2:50:06, event record in her debut
• Race SLO has donated more than $80,000 since its inception to local non-profits
• 800-plus participants in Team Initiative sponsored by Morris & Garritano
• The biggest team, with 56 members, was Running for Riley, raising funds for Jack’s Helping Hand (second largest team, 43 members)
• Train, support and fund theGrizzly Youth Academy running club program for more than 150 challenged youths annually
Visit www.slomarathon.com to register or for more event information.
ABOUT RACE SLO
Established in 2010 to bring world class sporting events to the beautiful California Central Coast, the Race SLO family of annual events includes the inaugural SLO Ultra trail races at Wild Cherry Canyon (Fall 2016), the SLO GranFondo cycling event (Fall 2016) and the 6th SLO Marathon + Half and Family Fitness 5K (Spring 2017).
The Race SLO Team organizes and produces both fun and competitive running and cycling events that create a positive impact on both our participants and local communities.
Come experience the best the California Central Coast has to offer: year-round sunshine, rolling green hills, unspoiled open roads, first class finish lines and more. Come Race SLO: #EnduranceTownUSA!
Visit RaceSLO.com for more information.