The Big Sur International Marathon has sold out for years and is a “bucket list” race for runners from around the globe. To increase accessibility to this popular event, the Big Sur Marathon Foundation offers various drawings and entry categories to earn a spot in the late-April race. The Groups and Couples drawing will be held first, followed by Loyalty, Locals, First-Timers, and finally, the Last Chance drawing. Prospective participants wishing to bypass the random drawings can enter through one of four first-come, first-served categories: Big Sur VIP presented by HOKA ONE ONE®, Marathon Tours, Boston 2 Big Sur, and JUST RUN Charity Entries.
“This is the fifth year for us to use a random drawing for the majority of Marathon entries,” said Doug Thurston, Executive Director and Race Director for the Big Sur Marathon Foundation. “Our system provides multiple opportunities and has helped thousands of new and returning runners enjoy our race.”
The schedule to register for the various categories is as follows:
GROUPS & COUPLES: Registration takes place 7/15 – 7/23 with results announced on 7/25. This category is for groups of two to 15 people who want to participate only if everyone in the group is chosen.
LOYALTY: Registration open from 7/26 – 8/5; results announced 8/6. For those who have finished one or more 26.2-mile Big Sur Marathons.
LOCALS: Registration open from 7/29 – 8/7; results announced 8/8. For both veteran and first-time marathoners whose primary residence is in Monterey County, CA (939XX zip code).
FIRST TIMERS: Registration open from 7/31 – 8/11; results announced 8/12. For those who have never finished the 26.2-mile Big Sur Marathon.
LAST CHANCE: Registration open from 8/12 – 8/20; results announced 8/21. For anyone not selected or who didn’t participate in earlier drawings.
There is no fee to enter any of the drawings.
Non-drawing, first-come, first-served options include:
- The Big Sur VIP Program presented by HOKA ONE ONE® opens on July 8 and offers specialized training and start-and finish amenities.
- The Just Run charity entry program opens July 15. This higher-priced entry supports the Foundation’s popular youth fitness program.
- Marathon Tours offers a confirmed race entry with one of their full travel packages including hotel, on-site travel, race hospitality, and other race perks.
- Marathoners interested in running in the Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge (B2B), two marathons separated by 6 days, have the opportunity to register for this division beginning October 1 following their separate admittance into the Boston Marathon.
- The Marathon is also working with 12 charities with race entry available for those who meet minimum fund-raising levels. The affiliated charities will be announced in mid-July.
Detailed information on the special categories and the full registration process is available on the Big Sur International Marathon website. Additional distance events taking place along the Big Sur Marathon course on April 26, 2020 are open for first-come, first-served registration beginning September 3, 2019. These distances include a four-person Relay, 21-Miler, 11-Miler, 12K and 5K.
About the Big Sur Marathon Foundation
The Big Sur Marathon Foundation is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to create beautiful running events that promote health and benefit the community. Under the brand are three individual race weekends: Big Sur International Marathon in April, Run in the Name of Love 5K and 2K in June, and the Monterey Bay Half Marathon, 5K and 3K in November. In addition, the Foundation oversees the award-winning JUST RUN® youth fitness program. www.bsim.org #bigsurmarathon